View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM
joeyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept Charger

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

ORIGINAL: joeyr

very nice, if it the current charger had another name ( i.e. cornet) most people on this site will not dislike the charger.
Let's not besmirch the name of another legendary Dodge. As I've stated previously, it was a TWO-DOOR '68 Coronet R/T 440 Magnum that helped finance my college education -- not to mention my purchase of my '70 Challenger, come to think of it. To me, naming a four-door car after that iconic hardware would be akin to, well, calling a four-door car a Charger. Oh. Yeah. That's been done already.

Also, I read somewhere recently that the Charger was a two-door version of the Coronet. That statement can be summed up in just two letters: B.S.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a nice little history of the '60s version of the Coronet:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-2.shtml

You are completely right about the two door '68 cornet. Dodge even talks about how great it is on the legacy section on their website. But that does not change the fact that Coronet did have a sedan version nearly every year it was made besides 1968-69. in the 70's the charger kind of took the performance coupe title, until '75 where the coronet had a two door version once again. Personally ( I admit that my previous statement was a little too general) I think that the new charger sedan would have been a tribute to the cornet sedan. As for the coupe version maybe something like the picture that started this thread (obviously both would have to look more like a coronet but the basic concept is there, rwd, big v8, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Coronet

Also The 99 charger concept that alot of the people liked was a 4 door coupe orginally. Check out the pic and look closely.

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/B645407308164B20933290F18823FFE3.jpg[/IMG]

They even say it on their website:

http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/past...r&type=textNav

Along with the name, we also brought back the heritage that made Charger R/T a legend. This concept car advances four-door style into an entirely new dimension. True to the original muscle car form, Charger R/T, with its low, thrusting hood, has a powerful V8 matched with a five-speed manual transmission that drives the rear wheels. The front grille and lamps look menacing. The body is taut. The rear deck with spoiler, and the fascia with sly-looking taillamps and twin exhaust outlets, all signify a vigorous departure from the past. In true retro form, 1966 meets the millennium. One look at the radio knobs and three-spoke steering wheel will confirm that. The pistol-grip shift lever adds to the feeling.

Throughout this interior past and future, street and racing are balanced. Exposed metal is emphasized -- but the front and rear bucket seats are made of carbon fiber and have red leather accents. Because the Charger R/T is supercharged, the 4.7-liter SOHC, 16-valve, V8 engine has the kind of ferocity that results in 325 horsepower.

But Charger R/T is environmentally gentle -- its Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) fuel produces negligible emissions at the tail pipes.