View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 AM
RoswellGrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept Charger

I agree, Joey, Interceptor is a cool name. That's why I've liked the name Avenger, although I liked the original models better than the current crop. Again, though, that has a lot to do with my anti-four-door bias.
I guess the point I've really been trying to make is that I think if a car bears the name of an earlier model, it should be actually descended from it -- ie., today's Mustang is directly descended from the 1964 and a half version. (The notable exceptions to this would be the Challenger, since its appearance and performance intent is based on the original 1970 model, and, of all things, the Volkswagen New Beetle, since its appearance is rather loosely based on Adolf's favorite car. Of course, to the best of my knowledge, "Beetle" actually was a nickname for the original design and it really is the name of the the current model. The jury, as far as I'm concerned still is out on the Camaro). The current Charger has nothing to do with the original car, nor does the Impala, Malibu, GTO, Taurus, Buick Roadmaster of the 1990s, Dodge Hornet concept car, AMC Hornet, etc., etc., etc.
I just wish that the auto companies could show enough originality to think up new names for new cars rather than attempting to capitalize on something that the new cars definitely aren't. Who knows -- the new cars just might earn their own place in automotive history.