View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: monthly auto sales story

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

So while we are on the subject.....

What would you pick for a reliable, good MPG, low maintenance, practical (4-door) car that doesn't cost and arm and a leg
and why?
Depends on the criteria. If I was buy I4s, I would go with a Ford Fusion because I trust the I4 engine. I don't like a lot of Ford's models and engines, but their I4s have a good reputation. I would also choose this because the manual transmission option. Although I wish more of this was actually made by Ford, I have heard scary things about the Ecotech by GM and the "World Engine" has not been out long enough yet for me to make an accurate judgement. Also an added bonus is my uncle used to work for Ford and I would get a nice discount on one. Those start I think around $18K base level before a discount.

If I was going with a fuel efficient V6 choice in the market I would get a base level Pontiac Grand Prix. I trust the 3800 engine after knowing enough people who have put over 200K and even 300K on them and most people claim it gets over 30mpg. I also know enough people that have had good luck with W-body GM models as well with the same engine. Also, we have a GM mastercard that would knock off a couple thousand off the price. Those start off around $20K before the mastercard discount.

If I was going budget performance, I would go with the Dodge Avenger R/T. I love the 3.5L V6 and have received good results with both the fuel economy (over 30 on the highway) and reliability and I know enough people that have had the same results as me, I just want the full H.O. version is all. If memory serves me right those start around $23K for that trim level.

If I was buying used and was not going to buy domestic cars for some unusual reason, I would buy an 05-06 Nissan Altima VQ-equipped (3.5L V6). There are plenty of cars that I would buy before one of these including a 300M, an 02-04 Intrepid SXT, supercharged Grand Prix, etc. I would go with that because my aunt has one and I like it, plus she claims that she gets around 32mpg. I don't like the new ones as well and would have to get a manual as I don't trust CVTs. Also Nissans are quite expensive and their I4 has a reputation for having reliability problems.

If fuel economy was the ultimate goal (something that will probably never happen as I will go diesel first), I would get a manual Accord I4. My friend has one and gets in the mid 30s on the highway. I like Accords-okay, not a car I dream of but you will find me in an Accord before you find me in a Camry. For the record, I have driven all of the cars I have listed (including the Camry).

If I was convinced that the 3.5L "High Value" engine found in the Saturn Aura was reliable, I would consider one of those as they can get over 30 mpg going by the old fuel economy standards which I find are pretty accurate for me. They are very nice cars, I was quite pleasantly impressed especially for the price. Those start around $20K before the mastercard discount I think.

Was that what you were wanting a response on Jeremiah, or were you thinking a compact car? Out of curosity, why do you ask?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts