View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 05:00 AM
lear4406

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Camaro may get direct-injection V8

OK lets see if my thick skull can comprehind. The direct injection injector is mounted on top of the head. Does this mean that the fuel is injected post intake valve. So all the intake valve is doing is pulling in air. The injector is putting the fuel directly in the cylinder and no air /fuel mix passes the intake valve? Does the mixture take place on the intake stroke and compression stroke? And it would seem to me that you would want more mixing time... but test show a power increase and an improvment in fuel mileage. I wonder if the life on the injectors will be less, seeing the increase in heat and oil in that enviroment? Also the injectors themself will be totally different from what we see now, more metal. I can't see any plastic living in that kind of heat stress. I look at valves that come out of an engine with 80000 to 100000 miles and the buildup on the valves is quite substancial. I wonder what the injectors will look like after the same mileage. I'm all about technology and I like it when you get + HP and + gas mileage... I just want to know how it ticks and will it be as dependable as what we have now.