View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 11:59 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thank God for compact tire compressors

I actually keep an eye on the air pressure on my standard four tires on a regular basis. I just forget to keep my spare prepared is all. After this, I think I will make sure it stays aired up. Having that full-sized spare as opposed to a donut has already paid off as the repair shop is going to have to order my tire (it will be in on Monday) and I still have the freedom to drive where ever I want to at the normal speeds on roads that are not in the best condition (their Missouri roads, need I say more).

Something interesting about all of this is that I still have the first set of tires that I put on the car when I bought it on the front, but I'm on my third set for the ones on the rear. The ones on the front are five year old Goodyear Eagle GTIIs with around 64K on them and still have quite a bit of tread on them, the ones on the back keep changing about every two-three years. I originally keep the Goodyear Eagle T/Rs that it came with as they still had tread on them for about 20K. I then decided to replace them with an off brand, H-rated set that a friend sold to me for $25 per tire (new tires for this cost at the cheapest $61 dollars). The one on the right side was destroyed after 6K miles when the clumsy dealership somehow ripped the side wall out on it and had to replace it at their expense with the tire that was just ruined on thursday. I replaced the left one due to the fact that the tread was getting worn unevenly, which is not unusual for LH cars. It still would have been good for at least another 10K, but I prefer to replace tires before they get bald and develop leaking issues. I had matching Mastercraft tires on the back now, I will once again have unmatching tires as they claim that they do not order tires from them. Whatever, just as long as it isn't Firestone, Bridgestone, Continental, General, or Uniroyal is all I care as we have had those in the past and have had bad luck. Those Goodyear GTIIs still have quite a bit of tread on them and I will probably put another 15K on them before they will need replacement. Overall, I like Goodyears the best as we have had the best luck with our Goodyears.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts