View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big Three to shift into '08 models

ORIGINAL: awsure

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we all suspect the 5.7 & 6.1 to be the most likely offerings in the V8 as they are on the Charger/300/Magnum platform already? You sound unhappy. What were you hoping for?
Well here is what I'm not entirely thrilled about. The 5.7L & 6.1L are perfectly fine engines, but the problem is the competition is catching up. I'm not concerned about whether or not the Challenger will be able to out run the Mustang versions, I'm concerned about the Camaro. To be perfectly honest, how many times did Ford win in the category of engine output against the F-body cars in the latter years of the pony car wars? Only when they made a rare expensive model, the Cobra R. Defeating Ford's effort is very simple as they do not update their engines very often, but defeating GM takes more effort. Chrysler is more than capable of defeating GM with the Hemi as they have done many times, the problem though is that GM is putting in their best effort into fighting and Chrysler is not if they do not update their engines. The 6.2L that they are offering in the Corvette on paper has the 6.1L licked supposively. I want to see Chrysler offer the 6.4L at least for the top of the line model. Just to stay competitive the Challenger has to match their competition, in order to stand out, they need to offer more power than their competition.

Beyond that, I think it would be a good idea for the sake of being considered a dramatic step up over just a better looking platform with a left over powertrain from the LX, the Challenger's 5.7L should receive a power upgrade as should the 6.1L. A power upgrade should be more than just 10hp, it should be a more significant increase that will stand out. They are about to upgrade the Hemi for the next generation trucks, they should give the Challenger whatever upgrades the truck is going to get is most of my point (perhaps the new VCT system they are now using on the Viper's updated V10).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts