View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Plum70Rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 70 Plum convertible in photo gallery

Thanks for the compliments. I did find one before pic on my computer, the one I made up to put on top of my battery at car shows.
To answer you, 70RT, as I recall, the only notable options were the light group (including the fender turn signal repeaters), the protecton group (including the inserts on the bumper guards), power top, and power windshield washers. I didn't realize until later that when you got the power bulge hood, Chryler deleted the fender repeaters, but I really like them and probably would have put them back on anyway. Remember, though, that this was a 318 car and almost nothing is original. About the only things we salvaged were the dash and the back seat (which the previous owner tossed on a shelf when he switched to a black interior) As I said before it is an original plum/white interior/white top car, and we stayed with that, adding the stripe to break up the purple. The ad in the Philly Inquirer in September '89 said something to the effect of "1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible. Needs work. $350." My dad called and told the guy "I'll buy it -- sight unseen!" to which he repied, "You'd better come have a look at it first." My dad had one picture left on the roll of film in his camera when he went, and the picture below is what he saw. The car's current condition is a testament to my dad's sticktoitiveness -- it was his first restoration, and, being a typical high schooler, I didn't help nearly as much as I now wish I had. He has since restored his '65 Olds 442 (which he ordered new in '65), and 81 Fiat Spyder (long story having to do with a trade for a junk Neon), and is currently working on a '65 Olds F85 V6.

[IMG]local://upfiles/974/DE8D31D86CFB4D51927318D403FF7255.jpg[/IMG]

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention: The guy had it in his garage in Philly for six years using it as a workbench to refinish furniture, that's why the paint on the driver's side looks so bad -- he spilled paint stripper all over it!