View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler pondering what Models to Cut

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
I agree with coming out with the Cuda and using the Plymouth badge, the only problem from what I understand is that would take a large investment to do that, so I would put Plymouth back into full production and dismantle the Chrysler-in-name-only models from the Chrysler line and offer it in Plymouth (non-luxurious models and non-premium trim levels).
That's been one of my exact agruments against dumping Plymouth from the gitgo. With the exception of the Prowler, Plymouth's last 20 years or so have been nothing more than rebadged Dodges, insitinguishable from more than 5 feet away (could anyone else really tell the difference between a Dodge or a Plymouth Neon? Didn't think so).

The Prowler could have been a great start for that very trend. The PT Cruiser, IMHO, should have been a Plymouth. Same with the Crossfire. That way, Chrysler could have gotten back to its basic roots as a true, genuine luxury car maker in the same vein of Cadillac and Lincoln and not have its image further diluted by offering stripped-down minivans and 4-cyl econoboxes in addition to their higher-image offerings... but they SO missed the boat on this one. Also, who wouldn't applaud the idea of a PLYMOUTH Barracuda when the Challenger is introduced? Especially since GM flat-out refuses to make a Pontiac Firebird twin to the new Camaro (despite obvious demand for one), here would have been a perfect opportunity for Chrysler to one-up GM.... but alas, they can't.

I dunno. I so wish Chrysler and Cerberus all the success in the world... I only hope that past bonehead decisions don't come back to haunt them. Guess we'll see.