Old 10-25-2007, 02:42 PM
1 Bad Mirada
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do people buy muscle cars automatic?

i also dont mind having a manual in traffic, as i sustained a serious knee injury in 2002, and i was told that i would not skate again, or run, or drive a stick, or walk without a limp...im just happy to be able to drive a manual now. i also own automatic cars, but we intend to look into a manual challenger. however, i know that some day, either deterioration inside of my knee, or arthritis will take my ability to drive a stick, so the demon will be an automatic, although i was seriously considering an 833 swap. it would have been expensive, and in the future, i might not be able to drive it...

One reason that some people drive auto trans performance cars is a physical issue like mine, but there is also a more sporting reason. especially with older cars, from the original muscle era, you see many heavily modified cars running automatic transmissions because manual transmissions were sloppy and more difficult with which to race. its very unusual when watching a class like "pro" at the mopar nationals, and see one of the faster cars running a manual trans. older manuals were notchy and crude, where as a well built automatic (like a 727) can be shifted by hand with more smoothness and such. the mirada has a 727, built, with a manual valve body, stalling to 3500rpm. i wouldnt want a 4-speed in that, but i wouldnt think of having an automatic in my turbo car. i have an auto in the stratus because i bought it right after i blew my knee out...i wish almost every day that it was a stick.