Thread: Anti-V6?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anti-V6?

ORIGINAL: Ziegenbak

For the record, I realize I'm a jerk for what I'm about to say.

I do not want a V6 Challenger made. I'm 25, and am looking for my first car purchase, and am doing well enough to (probably) afford the V8. No, I do not want you to have your V6.

I want people to see my car and KNOW that its powerful. I do not want them to have to ask what engine I have.

I do not want some kid in a V6 reving his engine next to my car. It is an insult to my car.

I do not want a HUGE amount of challengers on the road. It is a beautiful car, and I know people will buy the v6's if they are made. If I wanted a car like everybody else, I would have bought a mustang a year ago when I could have had a discount through the workplace.

I can see having a V6 pushing up the price of the V8. Because the V6 will be "base", the V8 might have forced luxury items like GPS, auto windows, heated seats...cup holders*shudder* :-) Basically I will have to pay for stuff I don't want, let alone want to pay for. (Of course a lack of V6's could push the price up too because of the scarcity of the car, and more demand for V8's because no V6 is availible)

I know this sounds horrible and selfish. However, I think this is the answer the original poster is looking for. Thankfully, I don't see a V6 not being made, because it WILL sell. That way I don't have to feel like a jerk.
You are not a jerk, just mistaken. We do not tolerate name calling, so you shouldn't have to worry about that happening. The reason why I believe you are mistaken is you fail to understand that the V6 they would most likely offer (the 3.5L to begin with followed by either a 3.6L or 4.0L Phoenix) will be a lot faster than what people expect. I know that for years that when a muscle car had a slant, straight, or V6 engine, it was slow, but that is no longer the case. The 3.5L produces a lot more hp and slightly less torque than the 318 offered in the Challenger when you compare the same rating system (net to net ratings). Considering that the original Challenger had the slant six that was even less powerful and the 318 that was hardly a performance engine, it did not cause people to consider the Challenger to be a slow car because they knew about the offerings of the 340 six-pack, the 440s, and the legendary 426 HEMI. If the slant six and 318 did not destroy the performance image of the Challenger, I doubt that a 250hp & 250ft-lbs of tq engine will do the same to the image that the other engines will give the Challenger.

Just look for an example at the 300 and Charger sedans. The 3.5L is offered in both of those cars and do people consider those cars to be slow and lame? Hardly. Even though they do offer an engine that is slow and lame (the 2.7L V6), when people look at the 300 and Charger, the exciting question pops up into their head "I wonder if that has a HEMI in it? not "I bet that car has that weakling 2.7L engine that yeilds no advantages." When people see the 300 and Charger, they think of the 5.7L and the 6.1L, not the 3.5L and certainly not the 2.7L; therefore, it will not hurt the performance image. Besides, current day V6 muscle cars are getting to be fast. The current Mustang 4.0L V6 when equipped with a manual is only a couple tenths of a second behind the final 5.0L powered Mustang GT's 0-60 time. The 3.5L in the 2 ton LX cars (which only offer autos) have 0-60 times ranging from the low 7 secs to the low 8 sec range, if it was given the efficiency advantage of a manual, I'm sure it would fall below the 7 sec mark. Heck, even our Administrator "1 Bad Mirada" says that the 3.5L is no slouch and he has plenty driven plenty of fast machines.

As for the thought that if they do not offer a V6, the 5.7L will not feature standard luxuries as leather, auto windows, cup holders, and GPS. I hate to break it to you, but if the 5.7L comes standard, expect it to come loaded. They will

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts