Old 11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston Auto Show Is Big, Fresh - and Green

This is for you guys and gals in the Northeast.

Boston Auto Show Is Big, Fresh - and Green

November 28, 2007

Peter C.T. Elsworth -- Providence Journal Staff Writer

BOSTON - The 51st New England International Auto Show opens today, about a month later than last year and at a new venue, and runs through Sunday.

While the new date puts it after the Los Angeles Auto Show instead of ahead of it as it was last year, spokesman Michael Geylin said the dates were purely a function of scheduling at the new venue, the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center on Summer Street.

"We have to go along with the schedule," he said. "In most cases, the shows have very little ability to effect date; we're at the mercy of the convention centers."

Geylin said a major feature of this year's show was "the brand new facility that's just gorgeous."

Indeed, the Convention Center offers more than double the space of the old facility, with 516,000 square feet compared with 250,000 square feet.

"We have 100-foot ceilings," he said, comparing them with most of the ceilings at the Bayside Expo Center that were 15 feet.

Geylin said the show will be considerably bigger and will include such exotics as Lamborghinis and Ferraris as well as a number of concept cars and brand new models ready for the showroom.

Overall, about 800 vehicles from 42 manufacturers will be at the show, including cars, vans, light trucks, crossovers and sport utilities covering some nine acres of show area.

For example, the Saab 9-3 Turbo-X will have its North American debut at the show, and Suzuki will be bringing two lifestyle concepts - the Wave and the Blizzard. Chrysler will be showing the Dodge Challenger, Chrysler Imperial and Jeep Trailhawk.
Other models being unveiled include the new Jaguar XF, Nissan GTR, 2009 Nissan Murano, MINI Clubman, Audi S5, BMW 128i and Lexus IS F.

There will be a number of events and promotions for adults and children, including a 27-foot-high CARS "moonbounce" for the kids, $25 gift certificates to Boston Harley being given out every hour with a grand prize of a Harley-Davidson Sportster courtesy of Bruce Rossmeyer's Boston Harley-Davidson and a King of the Track contest sponsored by the Boston Globe with winners getting tickets to participate in the Stockcar Racing Experience at the International Speedway at Loudon, N.H.

There will also be a drawing for a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, courtesy of the New England Dodge Dealers.

Geylin said a major theme of the show would be green technology. "You will see that everywhere, at this show and every show," he said. "It's the way of the world."

He cited the new Chevrolet Malibu and the GMC Sierra hybrids that will be on display, in addition to the clean diesels from Mercedes-Benz and other German manufacturers.

"It's the overriding theme at all auto shows," he said.

And speaking of green, you can check out the pre-Smart car - a 1957 BMW Isetta 250, courtesy of Amica Insurance. The egg-shaped Isetta is considered one of the best microcars ever.

Other attractions include Rhode Island's Bob Tasca III, who will be available Saturday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. along with his NHRA Alcohol Funny Car, which is sponsored by AAA.

There will also be an appearance on Sunday by former Red Sox pitcher Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd, plus the Roush Fenway #6 AAA NASCAR Cup Car with driver David Ragan signing autographs from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. today.

Space will also be allotted to Automotive Styling and Accessories plus new and classic motorcycles.

Hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. today, tomorrow, Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $12 for adults, $6 for children ages 6-12 and free for children under 6. All admission prices include a $5 official Auto Show souvenir program. Cameras and video recorders are welcome.

Visa and Mastercard ar
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.