View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Mikesan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Collectibility Rant

Why does every hot new car have to be RARE? Why is everyone so hot to get a 1 of 1 combo? Barrett Jackson pricing, that's why. What today's generation of muscle car buyers need to understand is that their cars will still be quite common 35 years from now. The reason the 60's muscle cars are rare is that they weren't well built to begin with and got trashed and crashed. Back then, the cars were parked outside and driven hard year round. Shade tree mechanics modded all the time. Some better than others. No one thought to save it. Just make it faster, put a CB radio in it, upgrade the 8 track to cassette, install Jensen speakers, and try to hold off the rocker panel rust. Not the case now. We have our summer daily driver, our winter daily driver and our garage queen that sits under a cover in a climate controlled garage with Sta-Bil in the tank, Mobil 1 in the engine, and a battery charger hooked up to it. Only trained dealer mechanics working on it. I'm seeing the same mentality in the GT500 forums. Most owners think they have a $150,000 car in 2047. My guess is that half of those cars will have less than 50,000 miles on them and will have never been in the rain. They won't be rare, they'll still drive like new, and they will be affordable.

And those who have the hot cars want all production to cease immediately and those who don't have one want to buy it at invoice. There, I feel better now. Time for my warm milk and cookies.