Thread: XP or Vista
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM
DSkippy
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XP or Vista

Techman, yeah, I was vacillating on the $100 dollar Toshiba HD-DVD (in lieu of PS3 good value there I think) but, Sony Beta is in my head....so I was figuring I can wait a bit on that. I'm probably going to hang until there's a more affordable dual mode HD-DVD/Blue Ray Rom drive.

I'm running a MythTV front end w/ a DVI out adapted to an HDMI input on my receiver, and my ideal scenario is one drive that does BlueRay and HD-DVD....they're a grand right now (so guess who ain't biting yet?)....I think there's enough weight on both sides of the fulcrum for there to possibly be two coexisting formats (too much money to be lost on either side)......if this were to happen, this would not be a bad thing....COMPETITION and CAPITALISM always good, this will drive the price down on both and we make out (other than having to have both formats supported).

I do, again, say though, Sony is very bright to officially support Linux. Many people don't need a "traditional" computer. They want to Browse, word process, email and a few other things....why not give them an appliance that does that in addition to Gaming/Video, etc?

I just thought of this and I think it's kind of interesting....It really has come full circle, some of the first widely distributed computers were Commodore 64's hooked up to TV's used to play games more than compute, now Sony's bringing a gaming console that could start to be used more for computing than gaming. Apropos, no?