View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Plum70Rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First on the Block???

You're right, RLSH, about the Dynasty being and extended K Car. Matter of fact, nearly every front wheel drive vehicle Chrysler built between 1981 and 1994 was a K Car. Even the minvans. Only the Omni wasn't, but the original K Cars weren't far from being an extended Omni! That platform saved Chrysler's sorry hide in the '80s. The Neon ended its reign; what a piece of junk that was...

I slightly missed on my numbers on my K Car. It's an '88 Reliant with 256k (not 257), and I've put on 116k of those (not 160). That out of the way, it's a 2.5 (Chrysler NOT Mitsubishi as many think) auto. I got it from my mom at 140k, she got it from the original owner at around 80k. I got it in 1997 when my wife was pregnant with our first because the a/c worked -- and despite some soaked hoses, with a K-mart R134 retro, the a/c STILL works!

The trick with the 2.2/2.5 is to keep coolant in them. The aluminum head will warp in a heartbeat if you overheat them. I like to say this car has been abused but not neglected. It's BEAT, but never missed an oil change. Hit two deer... ran paper route for two years... ran a hole in the oil pan at 180k, filled it up and drove 3 hours home through a downpour... You can accumulate a lot of stories in ten years with a car.

Here's the crazy part. My kids LOVE THIS CAR. I'm absolutely serious here; I've never tried, but I bet if I told them I had to sell either the Challenger or the K, they'd want to keep the K! They want me to restore it... Ugh.