View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Plum70Rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler Historical?

I have a friend that works for Chrysler as a Crash Test Engineer and he has told me that they do not have records that far back.
Thank you! Now, why couldn't he have just told me that? I figured that was the purpose of the bracing creases, but of course my hood doesn't have them.

So, next question if anyone knows: For that hood to come that far back, there had to be some catastrophic failure point in both the latch and the hinges. Where did they fail? Is this something a set of Grade 8 bolts at the mounting points would fix or is is more complicated than that?

I've considered cutting weak points into my bracing, too. Could someone post pics of the underside of your newer hood so I can see where Chrysler put those creases? Sure would be cheaper and easier than a new hood (and the painting it would require).

I've been wondering about the whole convertible safety thing lately... There are other obvious issues other than the hood (like the pics of Jeremiah 29:11's friend's truck a few days ago). A full roll cage seems a bit extreme but not completely out of the question. I'm beginning to understand the mentality that caused my mom to sell her '65 Skylark convertible when my sister was born in 1970.

There is a whole lot of my dad, and a whole lot of memories in this car; I'd hate to part with it, but I can't see putting myself and my family at unnecessary risk for an occasional wind-in-the-hair ride, either... Maybe I don't need a toy that bad...

Just thinking out loud. Decisions, decesions...

The kids said keep the K.