Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   2008 Concept Cuda (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/2008-concept-cuda-31/)
-   -   Cuda Rumors (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/2008-concept-cuda-31/cuda-rumors-1949/)

RLSH700 10-31-2007 07:57 PM

Cuda Rumors

Okay, since this is going to be an ongoing topic, we decided it would be best to integrate the two threads and links into one and keep it at the top of the page.

This was contributed by Paladin06
http://www.redletterdodge.com/2007/1...et-their-cuda/

This was contributed by Yankee
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/29/s...cuda/#comments

Thank you both for contributing this information. Please continue your discussions here.

joeyr 11-01-2007 02:13 PM

RE: Cuda Rumors

I wonder how this will affect styling of an possible cuda kit; or will people just go to custom shops and get one done like this one?

Jeremiah 29:11 11-01-2007 04:02 PM

I hope 1BadMirada can give some more insight to see if this is true.

A Legend reborn from Chrysler

October 31, 2007

Dodge is bringing back the Challenger, Pontiac has the GTO and Ford redesigned the Mustang to look more like the 60's Shelby's. Could it now be Chrysler's turn?

In 1964, the Plymouth Barracuda was born. In 1970, it got the famed Hemi as a motor option, which brought forth the legendary Hemi 'Cuda. Now, could DaimlerChrysler be bringing back that legend?

C1
Not too long ago, someone let it out that a concept car for a 2009 Chrysler Cuda would be making a debut at the 2007 SEMA auto show. Ever since then, the rumors have been flying from coast to coast about the possibility of driving a new 2009 Hemi Cuda. At some point, Chrysler was contacted and this was the reply.

"We are pleased to read of your interest in the Chrysler Cuda concept vehicle. At this time, DaimlerChrysler has not released any plans that indicate the future production of the Chrysler Cuda. If built, The Chrysler Cuda concept vehicle would be built on the same platform as the upcoming 2008 Dodge Challenger, and would be production ready around the same time. We encourage you to stay in touch with the Chrysler.com website as well as your local Chrysler dealerships for future product updates. "
2009 Cuda Concept
According to the reply from Chrysler, they are planning a concept car. However, if you read between the lines a little bit, you can make a safe bet that they are up to something. They already have the platform chosen and an estimated time for production. Plus, if they aren't denying a concept car, where better to introduce it than SEMA?

The most exciting part is that if it is based on the Challenger, then it will almost definitely have the new 392 Hemi. There is no greater feeling than cracking the hood and seeing the spark plugs going right through the valve covers. (Thanks for teaching me that one Dad)

Can you say HEMI?
The SEMA Auto Show is set to kicked off October 30th and will go till November 2nd. Me and thousands of others are anxiously awaiting the appearance of the new Hemi Cuda.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/legends_reborn_7826

RLSH700 11-01-2007 04:10 PM

To me this looks like a change from a "no" to a "maybe." What do you think?

1 Bad Mirada 11-01-2007 04:22 PM

ill have full pictures of the car posted within the next few days..the car DOES exist..and looks nothing like those.

DSkippy 11-01-2007 06:04 PM

Yep. Those kind of favor the new and gone goat.

Again though, per a previous post if you read in the inventor sport link....the reference is made to DaimlerChrylser....so the author is obviously a bit confuse-ed.

"We are pleased to read of your interest in the Chrysler Cuda concept vehicle. At this time, DaimlerChrysler
Yeah, I should say ....."at this time DaimlerChrysler doesn't exist".....

1 Bad Mirada 11-02-2007 09:58 AM

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=17995

Cuda340 11-14-2007 02:45 PM

On tonight's Charger SRT Chat Session the following question was asked of the SRT engineers about a future 'Cuda:

Question:
Why was the 'unofficial' concept cuda shown @ SEMA instead of the in-house one? Loved it either way!! I saw that one, West coast customs did it. Looked great. Build it.

SRT Engineer response:

this was a unique car built by an outside concern....just made sense to put it our booth....don't get your hopes up........

Not the answer we want to hear!

73Cuda340 11-24-2007 05:27 AM

Am I wrong? but all I hear, and it is only from a few sources, there is no 'Cuda coming - ever.
But,... having read some posts about a convertable Challenger, ... I guess anything is possible

Actually, it would be terrible if they built a 'Cuda. It would split the Chryslter market, lessening the demand on both cars, and 1974 would come all over again. Secondly, just think of the manufacturing burden it would put on Chrysler. I do not think Cerebus would even consider it, they are a holding company and in it for profit, not our amusement.

Lastly, there is not much diversity in cars coming out of Detriot today, how would they differentiate the two? Would they have to? To make them "equally" appealing? Now some may disagree with this statement, but of the originals, the challenger was the beefy raw horsepower and no "glow", and the Barracuda was the "chick" car meaning more chrome, flare etc. Would they do that again? I doubt it, - the culture has changed (sic gas conscious) and people will not pay for frills that do not add to the performance of what these cars call to mind.

$0.02 + tax
-73Cuda340

Jeremiah 29:11 11-24-2007 06:28 AM

1. I have not seen any viable source that there will be a convertible.

The reality is I believe Dodge feels the market is too small for a convertible.

2. I have seen any viable source say there will be a 'Cuda.

The 'Cuda recently seen was done by a 3rd party for a customer to build a one of a kind.

If somebody has something concrete that by all means post, so for now I think we need to focus
on what we know instead of some gaseous cloud but what is imminent in the Dodge Challenger.

Cuda340 11-24-2007 10:54 AM

I think you got it wrong. The 'Cuda was the basic "no-frills" performance car. The Challenger R/T was an "upgraded" slightly more expensive performance car with a touch of luxury. Very similar to General Motors' Camaro and Firebird.

73Cuda340 11-25-2007 05:37 AM

Cuda340,

Ok, if you say so, but I always thought my 'Cuda had more styling than my Challenger. I saw the Challenger as a beefy competitor and my 73 'Cuda as a "frills" car. Though I fully admit it could out run my Challenger. I always thought the 'Cuda as a "girls" car compared to the Challenger. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both. My 'Cuda would only come out on the weekends, while I drove my Challenger or Satelite,GTX, Duster or whatever other car I would have during the week. It was my Favorite.

73Cuda340

DSkippy 11-25-2007 07:56 AM

Here's a thought, what might make sense for Chrysler to do is hang tight, ride the Challenger for 3-4 years as the shiny new luster fades on its "new kid on the block" vibe, BAM......stoke the coles with RETURN OF THE CUDA!

I myself have always like the Chally more. Having never owned them, my opinion is greatly deferred to both of yours, but I always thought the Cuda was a no frills street warrior. Kind of like a prettier version of the Superbee or Roadrunner.

JJMPB 11-26-2007 09:57 AM

actually that sounds like a great idea start off with the challenger for like 3 or 4 years then hit them with the cuda

DSkippy 11-26-2007 11:05 AM

Yeah, make it affordable enough (without compromising coolness/quality) and you might get folks owning one of each! And if no Convertible Challenger is offered.....perfect opportunity.

DSkippy 11-29-2007 12:03 PM

BJ offering the Cuda Concept! From the fine folks who brought/built you the Challenger Metal Crafters are the folks behind the Cuda concept.

Enjoy.

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/CorporateN...onumental-2008

Albeeno 12-21-2007 07:21 AM

As for rumors of the return of the ’Cuda on the same platform (presumably as a Chrysler now that Plymouth is defunct), Ralph Gilles, vice-president of Jeep, truck, and component design, was not hot on the idea in a recent conversation with Car and Driver.

“I can see it being done as aftermarket, but not something we would do lightly as a production model,” Gilles says, for a number of reasons. One, you don’t mess with history. Second, the hot designer thinks, in many ways, that the Challenger was a better design than the ’Cuda. Third, and probably most important, he wants the new Challenger to have its day in the sun—unfettered.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...ure-page2.html

DSkippy 12-21-2007 12:10 PM

Maybe Chrysler will see the errors of the Dailmer's way, understand the that brand dilution was lesser penalty than brand ambiguity, bring back Plymouth, and produce Luxury Chrylsers again...

JJMPB 12-22-2007 08:58 AM

or you can take your challenger to HXC performance and have it cudaized

Tass13 02-05-2008 07:22 PM

IN my dreams lives a Shaker hooded pistol grip hemi Cuda for 2009. Could it be a prophecy???:)

JJMPB 02-07-2008 04:56 AM

it's not gonna happen

cncpt2prod! 02-07-2008 06:28 AM

If Challenger sales are hot for a couple years, they might make a Chrysler Cuda. It might offer an upgraded luxury interior.

Cuda340 03-28-2008 02:12 PM

Tass13,

We have something in common. I sold my 340 'Cuda because we needed a car with A/C and a bigger trunk for my new born daughter (first born). It had a shaker hood, front and rear spoilers, rear louvers, slap-stick, and was rallye-red. I also miss my car. That is why I am excited to buy a 2009 SRT! :):)

I knew my combination was rare but was unaware that it was 1 of 124. Well, I guess there were 122 others besides ours.

2008challengerdreams 04-15-2008 08:50 AM

THIS IS SO COOL

FormulaS 04-15-2008 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

it's not gonna happen

Agree[sm=forgetit.gif]

HXC Performance 04-21-2008 09:26 AM

Mopar Collector's Guide -June 2008

http://www.mcgshirley.com/MagPics/MCG_Jun2008.jpg

Paladin06 04-21-2008 09:49 AM

Hummmm, the rumor continues..

FormulaS 04-21-2008 06:10 PM

The HXC conversion...[sm=bling.gif] wonder if you can get it without all $$$ add ons..just cuda body panels- grill and hi-impact colors. Do not want the foose custom rod look.

HXC Performance 04-22-2008 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: FormulaS

The HXC conversion...[sm=bling.gif] wonder if you can get it without all $$$ add ons..just cuda body panels- grill and hi-impact colors. Do not want the foose custom rod look.
We will be offering a "Cuda Package" which will include;
Flat Hood
Shaker Kit
Cuda Fenders
Cuda Grill
Vinyl Billboards
Cuda Tail lights

joeyr 04-22-2008 03:16 PM

Have you guys released pricing yet? Also, I agree that may want to have an appearance package, as some may just want retro paint and graphics, a cuda grill, and a hurst sifter.

FormulaS 04-22-2008 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: HXC Performance

ORIGINAL: FormulaS

We will be offering a "Cuda Package" which will include;
Flat Hood
Shaker Kit
Cuda Fenders
Cuda Grill
Vinyl Billboards
Cuda Tail lights

Thanks for posting this, That is great news! I am inclined to go for all of the above minus the vinyl billboards..any chance of an AAR Strobe type graphic...I will be watching your sight for updates.. Thanks again

1971cuda convert 04-22-2008 06:52 PM

I wounder if these are the guys from quality metal craft .If they are selling sheet metal there going to be rich . I will be a 09 rt just to convert it and then I can do my white interior and leave my 08 alone . Thats off the hook . I am thinking sassy grass green with white interior and maybe a white billboard . I wounder how rear window slats would look on these cars .

HXC Performance 04-23-2008 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: joeyr

Have you guys released pricing yet? Also, I agree that may want to have an appearance package, as some may just want retro paint and graphics, a cuda grill, and a hurst sifter.
Pricing will be available later this summer.

djb0308 04-23-2008 11:19 AM

Dagnabbit. I hate being blocked out while at work. Guess I'll need to get home and check out your website!!:)

1971cuda convert 04-23-2008 01:48 PM

So will these be steal panels or fiberglass .And will we be able to buy the panels and do the work ourselves if we choose. I would love to have an idea in price but understand that might not be possible .Also how soon could we get these parts . Will the ported rear valance and exhust work on the challengers .

djb0308 04-24-2008 06:09 AM

Yes, Yes Yes, Inquiring minds would like to know. Esp. if they can be a direct "bolt-on" Wooohooooo:):)

HXC Performance 04-24-2008 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 1971cuda convert

So will these be steal panels or fiberglass .And will we be able to buy the panels and do the work ourselves if we choose. I would love to have an idea in price but understand that might not be possible .Also how soon could we get these parts . Will the ported rear valance and exhust work on the challengers .
Parts will be available closer to the end of Summer. Our focus is to be in full production when the 2009 Challenger hits the road. We'll have a better chance of answering your other questions when our concept vehicle is built, which we hope to have done the first week of July.

From now until July we'll be posting small updates on the website with images of the build process. The first update will be in a few weeks.

73Cuda340 04-24-2008 02:35 PM

Ok HXCPerformance, I am going to begin holding my breath. If I die, I will hold you responsible. [sm=trust_me.gif]
73Cuda is a little testy today. I may be getting tired of waiting for things.... [sm=alcoholic.gif]

09.7_Challenger_6.1_6sp_manual

FormulaS 07-12-2008 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: HXC Performance

ORIGINAL: 1971cuda convert

Parts will be available closer to the end of Summer. Our focus is to be in full production when the 2009 Challenger hits the road. We'll have a better chance of answering your other questions when our concept vehicle is built, which we hope to have done the first week of July.

From now until July we'll be posting small updates on the website with images of the build process. The first update will be in a few weeks.

Anything new.. The only pix I see on the site are of the new challenger posted some time ago

djb0308 08-03-2008 06:34 AM

Any updates yet???? Work in progress, some mock ups, ANYTHING???? The website just shows the black Chally sitting there. Inquiring minds you know