View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler's errors

My thoughts on this are thus:

Avenger - the shrunken-Charger look is starting to grow on me. BUT... the car is saddled with WAY too many "if onlys". For example:

- If Only... the build quality was much more on a par with Honda (and to a lesser extent, Toyota, which would still be an improvement). Granted the build quality isn't BAD... but it's still not where it should (or could) be.

- If Only... their biggest V6 put out a more paltry 235 hp. Honda and Toyota V6s of the same size are cranking out 268+, leaving the Avenger already outclassed. This "good enough for what it costs" mentality is what got Chrysler into such a pickle in the first place.

- If Only... they didn't get such crappy gas mileage for their size. The R/T with its 3.5 V6 is rated at a mere 17 MPG in the city, whereas my 07 Camry SE with the 3.5 V6 (with much more HP) is rated at 19 (and actually achieves it).

Granted the car does have some pretty cool gadgets like the lighted chilled cupholders... but until Chrysler actually gets serious (for once) about making a competitive mid-size car, it will continue to be outclassed by the competition.

Sebring - unlike the Avenger, this one HASN'T grown on me (quite the opposite, actually). I suppose the convertible is passable (the previous generation was no beauty queen, but it was alot better looking than this new one), but the sedan is downright ugly. Here Chrysler had a clean sheet to work with, and what does it do? It recycles the old Saturn Ion design - hardly an inspiring design to begin with. A complete and total disappointment. A redesign won't come soon enough.

Pacifica - An idea way ahead of its time. It got off to a bit of a rocky start but it eventually redeemed itself in the last year or two with decent build quality and competitive drivetrains. I kinda think it's a shame it's going away as the crossover category is really starting to take off (for example, the GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave). If Chrysler redesigned it more in the same vein as the new aforementioned GM crossovers, I think they'd have a real hit on their hands. But I guess we'll never know now.

Crossfire - Never cared for it, this one I say good riddance to. Again, if Chrysler designed it in the same vein as the Cadillac XLR I think its fate would have been alot different. Instead they offered it as a watered-down previous-generation Mercedes SLK. The convertible I guess looked OK, but that coupe... the side profile always reminded me of a dog squatting to do its "business", which is why I could never take it seriously. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.