View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler's errors

I may not be able to do exactly as many as I hoped at this point, but I'll do my best.

Magnum:

The primary problem with the Magnum is the fact that although the attempt to draw people from SUVs because of the AWD capabilities and much better fuel economy and storage room is limited by a very important factor, I can't carry any more people than either a Charger or 300. This begs the question of why a person who was driving a Explorer or Trailblazer should even consider this over the sedans when it lacks the extra rear seat. I tried to sway a number of my friends who have only two kids to consider the Magnum as it is a more practical choice but they all answered that they wanted a third row seat for when they had to bring their children's friends along with them. This is what I see as the primary problem.

The next problem I found was the price for the right engine and which wheel drive. The 2.7L was the standard engine and after having test driven a lighter, more aerodynamic Intrepid with this engine and finding this engine to feel inadequate with the power and torque band's characteristics, I'm sure the added weight and boxier design did not help anything in this department. The first choice that people would most likely consider is the SXT powered by the 3.5L. The problem is that the RWD version alone costs between $27-28K and the AWD version costing $29-30K, a person could purchase an Explorer with 4WD that has the desired third row for about $28-29K and be satisfied with the base level engine. Although you would be able to make up the difference in fuel prices, it still makes the Magnum seem like a lost cause without the rear row as there are many two row CUVs that get similar mileage for a better price. Having a Hemi or two Hemis is not enough to guarantee success in every segment. The way to resolve this problem is by using an engine that was designed for and used in heavier vehicles. The 3.3L V6 would be the ideal choice. This engine will not win any contests in terms of track times; however, the strong level of torque found throughout the band and increase by about 20ft-lbs would help remedy the weakness feeling. After having driven an 02 Caravan many times, I can tell you that although the 3.3l isn't fast it at least feels adequate which the 2.7L does not and the Caravan weighs slightly more and the Caravan actually has taller gearing. With this base engine, they should have offered the AWD system as an option. At least this way they could undersell the SUV competition while offering similar seating capacity. People who would feel that this engine was not enough could chose from the other engine offerings.

The next thing is besides performance, Dodge had nothing to bring an alternative audience besides performance because some people really don't care about performance (hard to believe but its true). In the current marketplace, the demand for vehicles that get better fuel mileage is the desirable. A hybrid idea would be suicide as this would offend the customer base and the hybrid fans would not be drawn to a car like this. The direction that this car should be drawn towards diesels. Offering a current diesel would provide competitive performance, reliability, fuel economy like a economy car.

Dakota:

The Dakota seemed to be doing excellent until the current generation. The biggest problem was most likely the looks. The previous generation Dakota (97-04) was arguably the best looking Dakota, if not the best looking compact-mid-sized class truck of all times. The 04-07 is arguably the worst looking Dakota. Chrysler's styling has gone down hill by taking pages from GM's styling and I can't figure out why. They need to smooth out the looks and get rid of the edges. The latest Dakota with the new much better looking grille is a step in the right direction, but it will take further work. The other problem with the Dakota was the interior. The p

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts