View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 08:05 AM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Camshaft is too big

ORIGINAL: THECHOSENONE

Hi everyone I am having an issue with my 440, it appears the previous owner put in a huge lift and duration cam which i have no idea about . The car only idles at 1250 RPM, anything lower and it stauls. The heads are indy pro heads, the cars goes like hell but because of the high idle, i get run on when I turn it off, any ideas.
I'm guessing by "run on when I turn it off", you mean detonation? It keeps running - like it doesn't want to shut off?
If so, I had a similar problem with a previous car of mine. The 1978 Mustang Turbo I had suffered terribly from detonation (it wouldn't shut down right away when turned off). I solved that with a simple (and fairly inexpensive) water injection kit. This is a common problem with forced induction cars. But my guess is in this case, the timing has been advanced or retarded so much because of the lift and duration of the cam that you're getting a similar situation - unspent fuel left in the cylinders when you turn it off, so it keeps "choking and kicking" after the key is turned off.
My guess is without changinging anything internally to your motor, you could solve the problem with a water injection kit. It worked in my situation, was inexpensive, and was easy to install.