Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
_R$_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How will aerodynamic testing change the Challenger design?

Hey, nice looking FFR GTM there in that wind tunnel... One of these days...

For anyone still wondering what is going on here, look at it this way. An airplane wing (airfoil).

Look Familiar?

Air A is compressed with the air on top of it (Creating drag), then is slowly uncompressed as it travels across the back side of the wing. As it is uncompressed, it speeds up, creating a low pressure system above the higher pressure system under the wing (Creating lift). Air flow B will be traveling slower than Air flow A, which will make them meet up at the same time on the other end. (The top of an airfoil is longer than the bottom.)

A car is basically an air foil. So slicing through the air WILL reduce drag, but at high speeds (which, even higher speeds are attainable with better aerodynamics), there will still be lift, which will be greater at the higher speeds attained with the lesser amount of drag produced. However, if too much lift is created (because of the higher speeds, because of the lesser drag), the car will spin out of control at a certain speed, capping its top speed. The only solution is
A.) A smaller engine, not capable of said high speeds (but in the same breath, makes the car lighter, and more susceptible of loss of control), or
B.) A non aerodynamic design, first slowing the car down, second, creating less lift, which both contribute to better stability. (Even at the same speed, a less aerodynamic car will produce less lift, contributing to stability.)

My guess is that the 6.1 Hemi is not a smaller engine, so no, I do not think it will be more aerodynamic. The Hemi will have the capability to push the car through the greater drag created by a less efficient design to 174mph, and at the same time, the less efficient design will produce less lift, offering better stability. I'm willing to bet 80% of the SRT Challenger owners will never have 'em over 115mph. I'll bet only 10% will push it to 140mph, and the last ten will have to know.

PS, the SRT-8 does have a spoiler. This creates more drag (through turbulence), less lift.
- Rich