View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simulation Racing

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

Are you speaking of simulator games for your computer or going to a special place that has full on robotic type cars?

I have a computer game called GTR2 FIA GT Racing Game. And I bought the Logitech MOMO Racing feedback wheel. The only thing it doesn't have is a clutch peddle. I think they make one with the clutch peddle, so I am thinking of taking it apart and see if there is extra wires I can convert one into it. I have also been having an idea of making motorcycle controls to attach to it. Now that would be cool.
I used to run an informal league at a local mall location through Silicon Motor Speedway - 1/2 scale simulators in malls around the eastern seaboard (before they were mismanaged and went bankrupt). Some of those sim locations are still around under different management and names. While the novelty of having the "car" move was unique (full on robotics), the racing experience was anything but realistic.

GTR2 is a good game. The graphics are very good and the gameplay keeps your interest.

The Logitech Momo FF wheel is very good. I used the black one for MANY years with excellent results and very few repair issues. The force-feedback is a very cool way to help immerse yourself in the sim. I used the left "paddle" on the wheel as a clutch - like a motorcycle clutch lever. It worked very well for over 5 years of heavy use.
There are no "extra wires" for a clutch pedal, unfortunately. With another pedal, you'd need another potentiometer (pot) and way of mounting it. You'd probably be better off buying a set of pedals with a clutch pedal already built into it.

My wife got me a Logitech G25 for Christmas - the FF wheel with 6-speed shifter, leather wrapped steering wheel, and yes, it has clutch pedal. This is probably the wheel you referred to. This is a much more expensive wheel/pedal/shifter combo with incredible precision and feel. Definitely worth the money if you plan on using it a good deal.
If you're looking for a good motorcycle game controller, check this out: http://archive.gamespy.com/hardware/...l/index3.shtml . I'm not sure of the price, but it's supposed to be very good.