Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Buyers Want Both Power And Efficiency

When pressed on which of the upcoming muscle cars they’d be most likely to buy, it was a close race between the Camaro (29%) and Nissan GT-R (25%).
I just do not believe that.

January 14, 2008

Car Buyers Want Both Power And Efficiency

With plug-ins, fuel cell vehicles and hybrids sharing the floor alongside hugely powerful muscle cars and ultra-sized SUVs at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, MyRide.com conducted a series of online consumer snap polls.Consumers mixed on muscle

Recent and most-anticipated debuts are the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger, but, according to the polls, consumers have mixed feelings about these retro muscle cars, with only 28% describing their return as positive, 32% describing it as negative, and 41% describing their feelings as mixed. When pressed on which of the upcoming muscle cars they’d be most likely to buy, it was a close race between the Camaro (29%) and Nissan GT-R (25%).

Mileage trumps horsepower … theoretically

When asked what will matter most during their next vehicle purchase, only 10% cited power and performance, while 38% named gas mileage and environmental friendliness. For most, however, it’s a compromise-with 52% saying they’ll look for the best available combination they can find between power and efficiency. And although people say they place a high priority on being green, most (53%) said they traded up in terms of horsepower in their most recent vehicle purchase.

Full-size hybrid SUVs and trucks get a big response

Thanks to GM’s new “two-mode” hybrid technology, full-size SUVs and trucks - like the Chevy Tahoe and Silverado, Cadillac Escalade and Dodge Durango- are about to come out in hybrid models that should deliver mileage in the 20-25 miles-per-gallon range. Sixty-two percent of car shoppers surveyed described their reaction to these vehicles as positive. And 28% say their arrival will impact what they’re considering for their next vehicle purchase, either significantly or somewhat (”if the price difference and fuel benefits make sense”). Only 8% said they plan to buy a full-size SUV truck but won’t pay the premium for hybrid benefits. The remaining 64% say they won’t consider a full-size SUV or truck - hybrid or otherwise.

The Toyota/GM PR Wars

MyRide.com asked a series of questions designed to determine whether consumer perceptions of Toyota and GM shifted over the past year.

Despite some recent press concerning Toyota’s environmental stance and reliability ratings, most survey-takers (41%) say their perception of Toyota is about the same as it had been a year ago, and the remainder was roughly split between having a more positive vs. less positive perception. For those who say that Toyota’s image has slipped of late, most (55%) cited the decline in their reliability ratings as the primary reason. The remainder said it was primarily because Toyota’s environmental reputation had been diminished in their eyes by its promotion of bigger, less fuel-efficient vehicles (25%), or its unwillingness to support the recently passed bill to raise CAFE standards (20%).

Meanwhile, GM’s image seems to be on the upswing, with 51% saying their perception of GM is more positive than a year ago. When asked to name their primary reason, 42% cited news of improved quality and reliability, 35% named their recent environmental commitment, and 23% said that it was simply a matter of GM offering better and more diverse vehicle offerings.

Mean, green or in between?

Shoppers were also asked whether they thought Toyota and GM, respectively, were: a) “mean” (i.e., associated with big, powerful vehicles), b) “green,” or c) “mean and green” (meaning associated with big, powerful vehicles and new fuel technologies). Although only 2% described GM as green and 53% described them as “mean,” 44% see them as both green and mean. A comparab
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.