View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
1 Bad Mirada
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Addicted to the rush of the race

thats a good point. for some reason, there is no responsibiity placed on the parents. when i was 18, i had a 13 second car...this was in 1997. a 1997 mustang cobra ran similar times to my car..maybe a shade slower (when stock). however, when i started driving when i was 16, that same car only ran in the mid 16s....and it started in the high 17s. my dad and i added parts gradually, so that i could get a feel for the speed as it came along, and as i gained experience...i have respect for the power of all of my vehicles, and i feel that in a short amount of time i can get a good grasp of what a car is safely capable of...while i dont have a stable of 10 second cars, i do have a low 12 second car, a low 14 second car, a mid 14 second truck, and a high 15 second car...also, the demon should be in the 13s whenever we get around to finishing it. many people wont own a 12 second car in their life, so my cars do rank quicker than many people's cars...ive never been an accident, and only once have i gotten a speeding ticket...and that was in a rental pacifica in an area where the speed limit dropped from 70 to 55, and i had the cruise set at 73...i didnt notice the drop, and it was my fault. however, in all of my years of high performance and high speed driving, ive not had an incident...because my dad taught me to respect the vehicle...but SO many of the suburbanite parents, who have no idea what todays cars (especially when modded) are capable of what they throw their kid into it and allow the kid to "boost it", not understanding what that means,a nd when little johnny goes from mid 16s to high 13s, there is a BIG change, and they often cannot handle it....and these stories happen.

i find that people often jump on me for suggesting that a parent should be punished for the action of the child...but from a legal standpoint, consider this. say that a high school senior goes out and gets drunk. hes 18, but he lives at home, under the parents roof, as a rider on their insurance. while drunk, he unfortunately makes the decision to go for a cruise and he slams into another car, killing a passenger. guess who gets sued? not the kid..the parents...and the relatives of the victim would almost surely win.