View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
DSkippy
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joker dies at 28

Kevin and Justin, you guys are missing the forest for the trees. I don't believe too many, if any, people were speaking to the kind of person this guy was or wasn't. The fact is, as stated by Justin, none of us knew him. His death was a loss; but no more than any other, and if your point is principled, you'll pick randoms out of the obits and give them the EXACT same remorse and respect.

I think the point being reflected upon by some and rejected upon by others, is the artificial nature of our culture to place more value on people who entertain us vs. those who protect us (police, firemen, soldiers), serve us (doctors, teachers, garbage men) and inspire us (local athletes, people who give back to their communities). These people in our communities deserve more than these poor tragic millionaires. And whether they do it for the love of the art or some intangible reason is moot; they get to do what they want and some of them are rewarded much more richly than those who give themselves selflessly and then pass in obscurity with no fanfare. I find it as offensive w/ the news who only decides to report on missing attractive people.