Thread: Backup Car?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:10 AM
DSkippy
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Backup Car?

While I said the STI Subaru, that was a suggestion for what someone else would get with the same money (I might even get it, at some point but not in 09).

Since the Challenger I want will be available, I will get that. If it weren't, I wouldn't feel compelled to spend a lot of money on any car. I'd drive my commuter car which is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra that I got with 1k miles on it for 10K cash to replace my Subaru Legacy Wagon, which I killed one rainy night going around an entrance ramp with a bit too much bravado. I have put, in the two years I have the Elantra, 60K trouble free miles on and find it to be nice riding and has remarkably good acceleration. I commute over an hour each way and I am 6'3" 265 lbs. I am completely uncrowded in it (I still find this amazing), though when a couple of my equally stout friends go to lunch, gets a bit crowded moving the driver seat up to accomodate, but that's not that bad.

My wife encouraged me to get a Camry or a Sonata, higher end what have you. But my plan before killing the Subaru, was to keep it as my commuter, and buy the Challenger. So I didn't want to raid my savings or end up financing too much of the Challenger. If the Challenger didn't exist or wasn't for purchase, I'd drive the Elantra into the ground and if Chrysler hadn't offered something equally retro and alluring, I would have stayed the course bought most likely an Asian car (preferably one assembled here in America like my Subaru was) pocket the money for retirement or have purchased a Victory Vision. Go figure, I'm content with my bikes and cars, and within the same year they announce plans to be build something attractive enough for me to part with my green. I wish I had enough for both, but College is just around the corner for the kids.

In this case it would most certainly be Mopar or NoCar.