Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 AM
mopar2ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For Those Who HATE the Block Challenger Lettering...

Peculiar thing, not sure how many know this but Chrysler bought Sunbeam (no... not the small appliance maker) who made the Alpines and Tigers back in the 60's. Not sure which model years exactly, but there was a stretch where they were putting the pentastar on the quarter panel as they did with other Chrysler products. The Tiger was fitted with a 260 Ford V-8 ala Carroll Shelby and then later bumped to the 289 prior to the purchase by the Chrysler group. After Chrysler purchased the line they discontinued the Tiger because they were unable to fit a Mopar engine without extensive and expensive rework. The Mopar engines were wider and had the distributor positioned in such a way that is was impractical to mod. Chrysler opted to discontinue the whole line. It obviously wouldn't make sense for Chrysler to continue production of a car using a Ford motor. Apparently the Brit's weren't too fond of the Chrysler buyout. I was talking to an old Brit one day about the Tigers with the pentaster logo and he told me they actually nicknamed the pentastar as the "puckered arse" in British circles. [:@]

That conversation with the old Brit sticks with me to this day... wrong as it may be. [:'(]