View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
RoswellGrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you know how to drive a manual?

I learned to drive (at age 12, with my old man screaming at me the entire time) on a 1950 Ford with a 3-speed column shifter and a flathead 6-cylinder.
Over the years, the weight of the oil-bath air cleaner had loosened the carburetor enough that every time you came up to a stop, the engine would die. Being cheap, my old man had figured out that instead of getting it fixed, he could clutch start the engine again as he was still rolling to a stop, so I had to learn to do that, too. (In fact, the first time the old man ever used the F-word in my presence was screaming at me to step on the F-ing clutch as we got back into the driveway and I let the engine die. Of course, he didn't realize I had my window rolled down and all the neighbors were out in their lawns. He didn't speak to me for a week or two after that little show)
The car didn't get fixed till I took it over at age 16, tightened up the base of the carb and got rid of the oil-bath air cleaner in favor of a small, paper-element model.

I also had a '70 Maverick and a '77 Maverick with 3-speed column shifters.