Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
MGDMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Now what?

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

mike, ive often wondered...we have quite a few members at the various sites, who are stationed overseas in the military. when youre online, do you have like a laptop or something, or are you in a computer lab? do they provide you with computers?

when in college (2000ish) a friend of mine was engaged to a guy in kosovo, and she NEVER heard from him...and she never mentioned anything about him having internet access...is this a newer offering for you guys and girls overseas?
Pat- My radar section/squad is lucky in several aspects here:
1- This is a protracted war/sustainment/whatever its called so my section is permantly on a FOB(Foward Operating Base). So we aren't leaving anywhere and have constant access to 220v power for our internet satallite.
2- We are fairly frugal with our money and purchased a slightly used sat for about $2500.00 that included all the goodies with it.
3- Kosovo was different... and yeah, I know what you mean by a new offering. Technology has come a long way since then! Yay!

We do have commo-blackouts here... we call it River City. When a soldier/marine/sailor/airman is killed or severely wounded all of the phone/computer centers are locked up till the immediate family is notified. We don't have to technically shut ours down because this is our property not the governments; however, we do out of respect (and the fact that we do have some blabber mouths in my section).

But I use my own laptop.. just a simple Toshiba but it gets the job done. I take correspondence classes online and just chat with my family back home. So, if I'm going to be over here for 15 months then I'm going to be as tuned in as best I can with everything going on back at home... plus its pretty cool seeing my daughter on webcam pretending to be Hannah Montana. LOL!