Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 AM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Short, Deadly Story of a Kid and his M5

I recall a post in this forum in June of 2007 by Frankie Nelson (SkillzDatKillz), a 15 year old "hopeful 2008 Challenger owner". https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_13269/tm.htm
I remember a number of us getting a rash of **** from other members in this forum for warning him about the dangers of putting an inexperienced driver with surging hormone levels (such as himself) behind the wheel of a powerful car. A number of us stated that the only thing worse than putting a young man with little (if any) driving experience behind the wheel of a hi-po car could only be if alcohol was added to the mix of inexperience, hormones, a false sense of competance, and an extremely powerful vehicle. His response was similar to what's been written above from AmericanM5.
While I am not a "seer" such as Michael de Nostradamus has been credited with being, the scenario is eerily similar. I cannot state with certainty that Frankie would make the same fatal decisions that Josh Ammirato made, but I would not be able to sleep well knowing now what happened had I made statements such as the one from the member in Queensland, AU, and NOT given warnings such as many of us in fact DID give to Frankie in mid 2007.

A friend of my son's was known to perform "driving stunts" on snow-covered rural roads several years back - with his friends in the car. He felt comfortable bragging about his "displays of driving expertise" in front of his friends - until he did it in front of me as well. I made sure I had his attention - AND that of his friends. I told him;
"If you want to chance your life, that's your choice. BUT if you decide to do something stupid with MY son in your car, and ANYTHING happens to him that renders him crippled or dead, rest assured you'll see my face every day that you live! I'll remind you EVERY DAY you're alive that in a few seconds of stupidity, you changed or shortened the life of another person - whose only poor decision was to trust you to make good ones when you were behind the wheel. You think long and hard about seeing my face in yours EVERY DAY BEFORE you play Joey Chitwood with ANYONE in your car again!" Have you ever heard the phrase, "....the fear of God in his eyes"? I haven't seen that kid since that day. I hope he chewed on that for a long time.......

Thanks for posting this, joeyr.
I'm off my soapbox now.