Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 PM
kevin2323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Despite what you might think, there ARE examples of cars that come “underrated” from the factory. I stated the BMW E90/E92/E93 335i as an example and I’ll show you some concrete information on that below.

The BMW 335i is claimed by BMW to have 300 hp and 300 ft/lb from the factory (at the flywheel). Average sport cars come with a drivetrain loss of about 15-20%. Let’s assume 15% to be on the “high” side HP/TQ wise. A BMW E9x 335i with 15% drivetrain loss on a Dynojet Dynamometer (Dyno) should dyno somewhere around 245 HP and 250 ft/lb of torque on the HIGH side (since we are assuming the lower average of drivetrain loss). Most 335i dynoed properly on a Dynojet with the right correction factors and correct smoothing are putting down 265-275 HP and 280-300 ft/lbs AT THE WHEELS. This means that either somehow BMW achieved <7% drivetrain loss, or
they seriously underrated the published numbers.

Here are some Dyno graphs (all on Dynojets for comparison purposes):

2 of these dyno’s are stock VS chipped, so I underlined the stock numbers for your convenience.

Moving on to performance numbers, the BMW stated 0-60 time is: 5.3 seconds for 6MT (Manual Transmission) and 5.5 seconds for AT (Automatic Transmission)

Here are some actual 0-60 times from magazines & owners (stock of course):

Car and driver TEST RESULTS: *6MT*
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec

Edmunds Test Result: *AT* This 2007 BMW 335i test car blazed from zero to 60 in 4.8 seconds.

Rob: *6MT*
0-60 in 4.75

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/1badzhp/Gtech1.gif[/image
]
** One of my best friends Leandro has a BMW 535i (N54 equipped) that has the same sequential Bi-turbo 6 cylinder as the 335i. BMW rates the car as having a 0-60 of 5.7 seconds for the Automatic Transmission. With me present, he ran a 5.34 0-60 with his G-Timer (that was calibrated in expert mode using vehicle weight, aerodynamic drag coefficient, drivetrain loss, and rolling resistance to secure accuracy).

BMW Doesn’t state a ¼ mile time for the 335i, but drag times (with drag slips to confirm) are from 13.3 to 13.6 (average). A bit faster than expected for a car that does 0-60 in “5.3” seconds for the 6MT and “5.5” for the AT.

*** Oh, and just for kicks, it is remarkable what the N54 equipped BMW’s can do with a little software tuning, some better tires, and a good driver! They’ve hit 11.8 in the ¼ mile with some software tuning. Another company is claiming 11.2 (still on stock turbos, stock internals, etc etc) but no slip is up for that yet so it is still “uncomfirmed”

[quote]ORIGINAL: Albeeno

kevin, I realize there is a pretty sizable difference in 0.2 seconds and I fully acknowledge that the Challenger bests the Mustang GT in every performance category imaginable. But it doesn't best the Shelby GT500 (which in my opinion would have been a better comparison) 0-60. Please don't give me the whole supercharged thing either. Both cars, out of the box, the GT500 is faster. The Challenger does however best the GT500 top speed (170 vs. 155). But then again, who's gonna do 170 mph or even 155 mph? I don't happen to frequent drag strips, etc. and I certainly don't live and breathe car mods. I'm an all-original guy. So, for the purposes of this discussion, let's leave the multi-thousand dollar mods out of the discussion and all of the what-could-be and just talk straight up stock.

Personally, I'm more concerned about light to light performance than I