Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Overpowered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Gear Ratios!!

Here is my opinion - take it for what its worth.

The Challenger car is geared for some higher top speed potential (which may help fuel mileage).

The auto trans SRT will be final geared with 3.06:1 gears and the manual will be 3.92:1 and assuming red line and trans gearing for each model will get the car to the top speed of 170 MPH.

Lets just use the manual version - assuming same redline & trans gearing - what if the rear end gearing was changed if your just concerned with 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.

4.11:1 would drop the top speed to 162
4.56:1 would drop the top speed to 146

These 2 changes would deliver 5% and 16% deeper gearing potential - what does that mean for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - I don't have a performance calculator to get the expected performance or even the magnitude of the improvement, but the Challenger would improve acceleration #s.

I know the comparison is on stock vehicles so the Chrysler chosen stock gearing is it.

Put the Challenger against the Mustang GT on a superspeedway in stock trim, and you'll see the substantial difference in lap times.

We dont drive superspeedways and if we really wanted to drag the car we would gear it for that (or buy the SS version)

If your doing the stoplight to stoplight race, please stop and save some lives.

Bragging rights are reduced in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in order to add to the top speed bragging right and maybe the gas mileage in a relatively heavy car.

I may be wrong, but I'm still pursuing the 2009 SRT to get a hot car in all respects - no mods required.

Eric