Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Axel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Ok, here's what I'm hearing, the SRT-8 will smoke the GT, the SRT-8 this- the SRT-8 that. From what they are showing, the SRT-8 is only slightly faster then the GT. I'm not trying to compare these two to each other, but I did throw it in to say that with that much more power it can't really beat it hands down. By the books I believe the GT is 4.9 and the Challenger is low 5s. Go by the books and the GT can out run the SRT-8. These two shouldn't be in the same category. Now I'll wait to see the official numbers to make a basis off of that, but off of those numbers the GT can keep up with the top of the line model Challenger. Again, I have to see reality tests, not book numbers.

What I'm really trying to compare this to is the R/T. That should be the competition for the GT, but if the numbers show that the SRT-8 has trouble beating the Mustang, then what is a car with a lot less horsepower going to do?

Now what I was saying earlier is bragging rights. Just because you have it doesn't mean that you should be racing at stop light to stop light, but it does mean that you can take it to the strip and drag. See, when it's N/A then that's what I mean by bragging rights and what comes out of the box. Anyone can throw things on a car and make it more powerful, but when you come out and say that my straigh N/A engine can beat your N/A engine, or even supercharged, that is when you have bragging rights.

As for the light to light racing, no, I don't believe in that. I think it's stupid these days and that it shouldn't be done unless you live in Dukes of Hazard county and you out run cops for fun. You can take that to the track and do that. What I want is a car that can keep up with the Mustang and this is why, I like the fact that when I get on that highway that I can get my butt moving so that I don't get ran over with the short on ramps that they have. If I go slower that means that is less time for me to get out of the way or to get up to speed. And, of course I like the occasional "race" on the on ramp to get on the highway when the light signals are flashing even if the traffic isn't that bad.

Lastly, axel ratio. I can get, and have, the GT with the 3.55 axel ratio, up from the 3.31 while the Challenger has a 3.06. Now I'm not good in this area, but someone can explain to me why there is a 3.06 on a muscle car. Save gas? Automatic? Really, save gas in a muscle car. I'm confused at the direction that they are going with this car to tell you the truth. I'm just mixed up.

As for seeing Mustangs all over. Please, come to my state. You won't see many sports cars at all no matter what they are. lol.

Overall though I still stand behind what I said. If they make the interior different and this car actually does keep pace with the Mustang, I'll take it. But I have a hard time swallowing the extra money just for the body of the car. Just me.