Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The current economy and the direction fuel prices are headed

ORIGINAL: 66Cuda

I agree with most of what you said RLSH.

Ithink that as we move forward as we lose more manufacturing jobs we are going to see the "middle class" dry up. There will only be "lower class" and "upper class". Buy that I mean people will either make just enough to own a car, pay there bills and maybe save $100 a month (lower class). And then there will be people who make more money then they know what to do with (and most don't deserve to begin with)

I hope that as we move forward we are able to keep more manufacturing jobs in the US... Especially since I am a manufacturing engineer
I don't completely agree with you there. 80% of my family is middle class and only a select few are in manufacturing. Some have run their own small businesses (house rental, recruiting, stores, etc.), others work for the government in many different jobs, others sell items in person or over the internet (they make quite a good living at that I'll add), others get pretty basic jobs at various companies utilizing their different strengths (office jobs primarily), others have physical labor jobs (plumbing, house building, etc.), etc. My observation has been that by each generation, my family is getting higher on the pay scale. When my family first came to America, we were either farmers or barbers. During this time, most of them were lower class, starting with my parents generation, we became middle class through having either a college education, a competitive small business, climbing the ladder through hard work, or some other effort to improve ourselves. We have had our periods that were less than desirable and our failures, but we never gave up hope. Farming is extremely expensive and there isn't much money in it, so instead we folded our tents and used our knowledge about this topic to become accountants, sales people, and other positions to serve those who still work in this field. Others work for large farming businesses and actually get paid quite well and receive good benefits. The fact of the matter is this is still the land of opportunity, so times we just have to accept that the opportunity may not be in what we originally wanted it to be in.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts