View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM
RoswellGrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rental Charger

I had to go up to Des Moines this week, and since I was flying, I rented a car while up there. I hadn't driven any Dodge products since the demise of my '70 Challenger and wanted to get a rental just to see what a modern Dodge is like before I buy an '09 Challenger. I got a Charger.

I gotta admit, I was QUITE impressed with the car. So much so that now I'm considering getting a used Charger for a daily driver in the event I can't pick up a spare used Challenger for a reasonable price in the next couple of years. Normally, I'm not into four-door cars, mainly because the B pillar usually is so far forward that whenever I look to my left, I'm staring right into it. On the Charger, though, the doors are big enough that it was far enough back to be out of my line of sight.

I would assume it had the smaller V-6 (I never got around to popping the hood or reading the owner's manual -- I had a lot of stuff to do). However, the engine was more than adequate for what I was using the car for -- in short, it would be a perfect daily driver.

Also, it snowed (naturally) four inches the first night I was there. I hadn't really driven in snow since I left Iowa in 1982 (in the days when you could still use studded snow tires -- God's greatest gift to mankind). Fortunately, between the modern version of a Positrac rear end and anti-lock brakes, the Charger did just fine in the snow. I, however, froze my posterior off and was more than glad to get back to the (relatively) warm climate of South Texas.