View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you REALLY choose?

OK folks, my wife and I are about to have another addition to the family (no, not a baby, it's another retired racing greyhound - this would make a total of 3). Right now I haul the 2 that we have in my Ram pickup without any problem, but they're a bit squeezed (it's a regular Quad Cab), and there's no way I could fit 3 of them in there for any real length of time (greyhounds are pretty big dogs).

So...

I'm not giving up the Ram, but I will be in the market very soon for another vehicle with more passenger room. I kinda have my mind made up already as to what we should get, but I'd like to get your take as well. And the choices are...

Minivan - I can hear you all now - NO WAY! But consider this - you absolutely can't beat a minivan for room. Yes they have the "soccer mom" stigma... but they also are much cheaper, much roomier, much less expensive, much better on gas than an SUV. For those that still say "there's no way I could ever drive a minivan", I'm with ya... but practical considerations do have to come into play some time.

Crossover - like the new Dodge Journey, or GMC Acadia. Supposedly minivan-like without the stigma (at least for now)

SUV - if I go this route, it'd have to be a true full-size, and I don't think a Durango or Aspen would really cut it. It'd have to be a Suburban or Yukon XL. BUT... we're talking several thousand dollars more than a minivan, less interior space and much less MPG - something that can't be ignored in these days where gas is pushing $4 a gallon.

OK... what's it gonna be?