View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
lear4406

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Build Up

Ah yes the air gap is the intake I wanted and really like what I hear about it. Yeah the cam specks are for 292 degrees of duration 488 lift. Trying to keep it streetable I have run a 304 degrees of duration on my first 340 engine and it worked well with a 4-speed. I later put this engine in my Challenger with a stock automatic and it was flat on the bottom. Just terrible. I then learned after reading and talking alot that the problem with a street built engine is you want power and it to be streetable. So with an automatic you need stall and high lift short duration on the cam. That is the cam that is in there now. I can't remeber the duration but the lift was 448. And this cam made ample power, just not enough in the upper RPMs. 5500 rpm was about it. I too have a small block and to hear you talk about the airgap makes me wonder if I should spend the money now and buy one. I am looking for more RPM. Around 6500-7000. My compression is 10:1 with the heads shaved ten thousanths. I'm using the 2.02 and 1.60 valves with back facing and a ported intake and exhaust. You are using a solid lift cam?