View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Muscle Cars Dying?

I was finding it hard to believe that the Camaro was only 6 months behind the Challenger. If this article is correct then it indeed is 1 year behind.

Are Muscle Cars Dying?

Posted: Mar. 13, 2008 11:03 a.m.

Motor Trend writes, "We are witnessing the end of an era." Despite the imminent launch of a number of new American muscle cars with big V8 engines like the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger, "high-horse musclecars as we know and lust after them are unlikely to be replaced by similar vehicles." New federal fuel economy standards dictate that "overall fleet average fuel economy for cars and light trucks must tally 35 mpg" by 2020. Motor Trend expects "musclecars to evolve, offering equal or better performance in a lighter, smaller, more aerodynamic form bristling with new technologies" to meet the requirements. But it does conclude that the V8 may be dying. "Already we've seen GM cancel its replacement for the Northstar V-8 and Ford de-emphasizing V-8s in all its future product discussions."

The return of one member of the dying breed has been delayed. Autoblog reports, "Chevy has revealed that the Camaro will now be a 2010 model, rather than a 2009 model." However, "the car will go on sale in the spring of 2009, yet still be called a 2010 Camaro."
Meanwhile, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that "Dodge dealers are seeing the excitement the upcoming Challenger is generating." Jack Nerad, Editorial Director at Kelley Blue Book, notes "I've heard...that $20,000 over sticker has been offered and bandied about," for the Challenger.

To research your current options in the muscle car market, see U.S. News' reviews of the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Pontiac G8.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.