Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
firebird1999us

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SMS Limited: Steve Saleen announces new supercar brand

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I thought Steve left his company a year ago.

I would really have to look at what Saleen is doing to a Challenger before I would consider it. My guess it will be very expensive as well.
Yep -- he left Saleen, the company he founded and named after himself, on not so good a terms too as I recall. And you're 100% correct on the second part of that too: Saleens are ridiculously expensive. Put that name on there and it equals $20k markup on just the base ones. I'll never forget the 2003 Saleen S281 (not extreme) I saw on the the lot at Team Ford for $60k before the markups. The best part was the crappy paint job on the ground effects...and that's when Steve was running the company

Also there are many a story about actual Saleen rims breaking at the track...a guy on the Mach1registry.com called Saleen about it and they basically told him the wheels were more meant for looks than that type of driving??? You know, the type of driving that the company markets the cars on being capable of!?!?!

The most recent issue of Road&Track has a shootout between the new Shelby GTC, Saleen S281, and a comparable Rousch...the best part? The Saleen, in addition to the other cars, hovered around $50k and was basically a GT with a brake package, a body kit, wheels, and just about the same performance numbers. So yeah -- thier stuff doesn't impress me