Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 PM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1800 miles in the Charger R/T in 4 Days

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I hate to burst your bubble, BootCamp, but rumor holds it that the MDS may NOT be offered on the manual versions. The VCT rumored to be added will certainly help all models, but I'm afraid that it might not be that much better than the 5-speed.

On the positive side, congrats on your results. I know 1 Bad Mirada has said many times that his inlaws have been able to get 30 mpg on their 300C. Have you ever done anything to modify the engine such as a performance air filter that would help the mileage? Is that a RWD or AWD Charger R/T, BTW?

Also as Jeremiah said, thanks for sharing the picture.
I realize the MDS will probably not make it into the manual / 6 speed Challenger. While I'd like to "have it all", I realize that's rarely possible. I was just very impressed with the avg mpg this (by modern standards) large V8 got in combined driving - which exceeded the EPA estimates by a fair percentage.
I was also implying that we were told that to get the best mileage out of our '06 RWD R/T (which is still completely stock except for the addition of vent visors on the windows), we should use the cruise control as often as possible. Since I proved - at least to myself - that the computer isn't always better, I'm making a generalization that the auto-stick 5 speed may not necessarily be a better performer than the 6 speed manual (for lower e.t.'s) in the eighth and quarter mile stats as previously indicated/thought.
I've driven standard transmissions for over thirty years now in everything from dirt bikes to VW Beetles to heavy-duty Mack tri-axle dump trucks. I'm not claiming to be the best in the world, but if a standard transmission has a chance to beat the computer controlled auto-stick, I think I'd have a shot at making it do that.
I have to choose between the auto with MDS or the manual without. I think the 6th gear in the manual will help make up a good deal of the mpg difference.......
Decisions, decisions.....
If I opt for the SRT8, the decision is easy - 6 speed manual since neither 6.1L tranny offers MDS.

As for the pic, you're both very welcome. We took quite a few. If I can get a chance to sort through them and clean a few up, I'll try to get some into a photo gallery for anyone who's interested in seeing them.