View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what is your Dream Car?

If money was no object what would be your dream car? The car you have been looking for a long time and wished you could afford one.

For the past 15 years mine has been the Ford GT40. This car I looked at building several years ago and was just too expensive. Even built from scratch this car was $100K. I found a great website that would put it together except the engine and transmission and that was $65K.

Then great news happened. I heard a rumor that in about 3 years Ford was looking at building high performance sports car that had a heritage.

Could it be true? Would they really build the race car? A car that kicked Ferrari's butt 4 years in row at Le Mans all because Enzo Ferrari reneged and ticked off Henry Ford in a car company merger. The car that has no better history or heritage in the whole world except maybe Porsche and a car with an American heritage.

Well I patiently waited and the news broke.....yes, yes, yes they are going to build it...but wait. What will it look like? How much will they change it?
What would the performance be? Will it be a daily driver or would it be the very rough car that it always was. Will it have an air conditioner? Many of the
kit cars did not have air conditioners nor roll down windows as to stay close to the original. But this car has got to be great because it will be a manufactured car vs a kit car and so reliablilty will be good and I can get it fixed anywheres. More importantly what will it cost????????

So I waited as the magazine articles started to hit the shelves.........no, no, no, $100K, $150K, $160K. Even at the lowest price I saw at $100K....I was disappointed and my dreams were shattered. But I could only dream again when I saw the opening Superbowl commercial that shows a Ford GT and it is being chased by a helicopter to film it and the pilot said he was having a difficult time keeping up. The commercial is the best car commercial I have ever seen. "The GT40 concept should do three things go fast, handle exceptionally and look great," said Chris Theodore of Ford. This car was not only a living legend but truly the "pace of car of an entire company".

Well, realization set in as I knew a 2 seater with no storage compartments for overnight travel would not be practical. Insurance would be astronomical at $10K/month for insurance. So here I sit with about a 1/3 of my diecast colllection being Ford GT's with a Megablock version and several books to go with the car. See the picture below.

That was my dream of owning this car.

I talked with my neighbor yesterday and his rich uncle actually owns one and he let him drive for about 20 minutes. The car was several months old but only had 75 miles on it. He hardly takes it out because it would be worried sick about it when it is parked outside at a mall or store.

But he said the test drive was awesome. His uncle told him when you go around somebody to pass them to be sure to totally shift over to the next lane because when you punch it the car will be gone. So don't push to gas pedal down until you are totally over. When he did that he said within seconds he was hitting 145 MPH and the car he passed was a little speck in his mirror. He said the car was hard to get in and out of because it was low to the ground. He also mentioned that the supercharger would not spin until he punched it. I have heard of electronic clutches but not on the GT40 so I am not sure what he talking about. This was also the first time he has experienced having a car slam you into the back of a seat and felt the G's. He said, that is truly the only car he can call a real sports car.

I told him that sounded like an awesome experience since most of us will never be able to feel that sensation in that car. I have only sat in a GT40 that was not moving.

Now I am dreaming of a more practical car and it can kick major butt.......Oh Yeah the Challenger!

Let's all dream and make this dream come tru
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.