View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Justinec101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High HP V8s= Dinosaurs

I disagree about the corvette zr1 not being produced. People buying a car like that (or a top of the line camaro, or srt challenger) would get it whether gas was $2 or $10. And since I don't see them stopping production of the regular corvettes they might as well have a low volume showoff model. Also because of the low volume it's not likely to effect the fleet averages much. As gas goes up and sales of large suvs and trucks go down I think these cafe requirements will be met easier than everyone is saying. It will be hardest for american companies like ford and chevy though who rely so much on truck sales. To balance those sales out they need to sell a 40 mpg car. . . now making a car that gets 40 mpg isn't the hard part. It's selling as many 40 mpg cars as they do trucks when imports have taken over a large portion of that segment. They're on the right track though with better perceived quality. Furthest behind I think is chrysler. I'm making an assumption here but I'd guess chrysler has the worst mpg average of any of the car companies. Their smallest car, the caliber, only gets 24/29. Yeah they're bringing out a sub compact with nissan, but how are they gonna sell enough of them to balance out the: Chargers, 300s, Challengers, Trucks and SUVs etc.? When you think hey I need a small car do you think dodge?