Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
DSkippy
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ford will make next Mustang look smaller, design chief says

Albeeno, you're my boy, but come on....not that it is anything that any company should aspire to (not being creative enough to muster interest on new designs like they did back in the day, but doing sequels and interpretations of headier times to garner sales---how's that for a run on tangent uh?), but.....Chrysler was probably one of the originators in this front....think about it....

Dodge Ram (homage to the power wagon of the 50's in the early 90's), to be followed by the Prowler and even though it's not chronological in order the ...sigh..... Viper was IMHO an homage to the ahem Ford Shelby Cobra.... so, embarrassingly , I would say Chrysler was the first to the nostalgia well for better or worse.

Does new style Mustang look retro enough, sure. It's retro enough. I like the use of monochrome to age it up as well. You trickster.

Does a company style it's car's to be PC make any sense? No. Not a bit.

If they are trying to make the Mustang closer to it's lighter origins that might make sense, but just to make it not look so gas hoggish, well that's disingenuous and if they verbalized it all this way, it's down right insulting to the people who are buying their cars. Kind of like "Hey, we know what your friends think of you, you know what your friends think of you, we're going to disguise your badness so that it doesn't look as bad and that way, you won't look as bad even though you are." That's kind of like saying more concisely "You're a piece of refuse, but we'll disguise you in one of our costumed products"..

I say they should make it a bit bigger and go Fastback style Mach 1 (or faster even). Again, as far as non Mopar muscle back in the day, that was one of the baddest looking jammies out.