Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Albeeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT

I would like to nominate this for the Post of the Day Award. 1971Chall called it right down the middle and I have to say I agree with everything s/he said.
ORIGINAL: 1971Chall

I really love both cars and to me it's just great that we have both these cars to even have a debate. A few years ago that wasn't so. The facts are this though(at least at this point): A manual trans will help the Challenger for sure but only a couple of tenths and maybe 1 or 2 mph maximum. The truth is today's automatics are much more efficient than anything made 40 years ago so not much is lost. The significant part of the acceleration stats is the fact that the Shelby was a full 6 mph higher in trap speed plus a 1/2 sec quicker. If you have done any drag racing that is a no contest. Again, just making the statement, not waving the flag. There really isn't any surprise here, The Shelby has more HP and is a little lighter, IT SHOULD BE FASTER. The Challenger simply needs more HP to be competitive here. No amount of debating can change that. But.......if you were to add the exhaust(headers/cat back), CAI and a flash it would be a driver's race. Of course as was mentioned above a pulley and CAI on the Shelby will dramatically increase it's HP(been there, seen it). Now, when we move to ride quality/interior space, etc, the Challenger wins hands down, definitely more livable. Looks are subjective of course but the Challenger IMHO is just a beautiful car. The Shelby is also but at this point I really want the Challenger so this will be what I purchase. If we see a 6.4L Challenger with 500hp then you will have some equality. I am hoping it will happen before the CAFE rules bite down......................