View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 04:08 PM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept vs. Production?

Well, the Challenger hasn't even gotten the green light for production yet. I hope it DOES go into production! I'll buy one if the price isn't rediculous.
BUT...
IF it does, I doubt you'll see ANY carbon fiber on it. That was just for the prototype.
I think the hood will remain as it is on the prototype - working butterflies and all.
I also think they'll put the same 18" wheels/tires on the Challenger that are on the Charger, with options for other rubber.
I also doubt you'll see anything bigger than a 6.1L Hemi. Look at how many SRT8 Chargers are on ebay. The dealers can't get rid of them and they're priced at $42K on average. Sharp car, for sure. In NY (definately) and CA (I believe), you get a $2100.00 Gas Guzzler Tax added to the sticker on the 6.1L Hemi. Maybe that's part of the reason the SRT8's are sitting at the dealerships. Maybe part of the reason is they're a bit overpriced. Maybe Dodge will offer an "incentive" on the SRT8's like they're doing with a lot of the trucks that aren't moving off of the lots. We'll see.
I'd like to see tail lights like those on the 1970 Challenger, instead of the Buick Somerset "bar across the back" rear light treatment.
One thing I can do without are the color options on the '70's Mopars. PLEASE, don't offer me purple, electric lime green, orange-orange or tomato red as the only colors I can get one in!

Look what Ford did with the Shelby GT350 Mustang. It's supercharged, and in the Mustang's second year of re-release. They made sure the consumer response was there before diving deeper into the pool. Now they've committed to making it, and priced it in the low $40K's. What's driving the price up is demand....."How much OVER sticker are you willing to pay to get one of a limited number of Shelby's"? They're selling them on ebay by auctioning orders (dealer rights to get them based on sales numbers).
I can imagine DCX looking at a "SuperBird" or "SuperBee" version for the second year of production, but not much in the first year. They'll need to get the thing through production smoothly before pounding out multiple levels of performance packages. Once they get all of the production issues resolved, you MAY see something similar happen if there's a release of a "SuperBird" or "SuperBee" edition.

I got an R/T for my wife a couple of months back, and we're very happy with it. It has the 5.7L Hemi and if I need it to go faster, I can play with the computer programming/chips, add a supercharger or NOS system, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DCX to offer anything bigger than the 6.1. There's already a ton of aftermarket enhancements available for the Charger. I imagine the same for the Challenger.
I just HOPE they actually produce the Challenger. I haven't been this psyched about getting a new car in 25 years!
Make mine a 6.1L, 6 speed manual, in dark grey metalflake, with a sunroof, 6 CD changer/player Boston Acoustic sound system, Borla CatBack exhaust, power windows, door locks, power/heated leather seats, AC, anti-theft system .......and maybe add a Road & Track handling package, similar to what's available on the Charger R/T ........ and I PROMISE NOT to ask Santa Claus for anything else (UNTIL the SuperBee comes out)!