Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planning for Your Financial Future and the Challenger

Thanks for this list of advice. I've got plans to first get a job after I'm out of college and put money on the side from the beginning to start a rental property business. One of the last things my grandfather told me before he died was that he sold his stocks in the 80s because he was depressed with losing his wife (my grandmother) to ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), and he said that was the dumbest decision he ever made. He quit his job, but he kept his rental properties and he said that was the only reason why he wasn't dirt poor and depending on my parents. He told me to make sure I had investments that made money and start from the beginning. I'm considering to go into business with some friends on this.

I am also working on writing a whole bunch of books on the side. If they are successful, I will invest that money wisely. My father has taught me very well how to handle a budget (he's an accountant). When I buy a car, I look for what will last a long time which I can stand to own for a long time. I intend to live in the town I am currently in right now for college. The expense of living is very cheap and property value is low right now, but I believe it is going to boom eventually. It is a perfectly safe, small community that I know very well.

I only use my credit card when necessary, and will be trading the one I have now (which has zero benefits) for a Dodge card. I have NEVER paid the minimum payments and never intend to. I don't buy unnecessary things, and when I buy my luxury items such as a TV, I buy what I believe will last the longest and I use it until it quits working. I buy quality over price.

I try to find ways to cut expenses, such as I buy E10 89 instead of normal 89 that costs 10 cents more per gallon. I use a K&N air filter which improved my mileage by at least 2-3 mpg. I could go on forever.

The reason why people have financial problems is they go nuts. They spend way beyond their budgets on credit cards and depend on their minimum payments. They waste their money trying to have the best stuff ever. They do not make wise investments. They buy new cars before they have the security for it (I have friends in college who are buying brand new cars and are in debt city). They have to have the best TV, best cell phone, best computer, best clothes, best everything. I buy quality stuff on discount at quality stores, but never the most expensive. This is why I don't have financial problems.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts