Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 AM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What will Challenger concept lose in production?

I don't think you'll see a huge markup on the Challenger like what's happened on the Shelby Mustangs. The Shelby's are a limited number model and the demand is far outstripping the supply. As of now, the speculated production projections are WAY over the number of Shelby's that Ford is producing.
When the Mustang GTs first went back into production, there was a high demand, but by and large, Ford met it. They were in a serious sales slump and were more than happy to move cars off of the showroom floors.
A friend of mine ordered a new Mustang GT in February of '05. There were production delays on his order due to fuel pick-up issues, warping/twisting heads, and a clunking in the front end under tight, low speed steering (such as in parking lots). Ford got the problems addressed and got his GT to him only two weeks past the projected date. Pretty good. He paid MSRP for the car....no premium over sticker.
Another freind works for a dealership in Virginia. He tried to get an '05 GT through his dealership (he even said he'd pass on the "Employee Pricing" discount).......but they had already gotten thier allotment of '05 GT's and he had to wait until fall for the arrival of the '06's. He got his employee discount on the '06 GT and got another Mustang (with a six-banger) in February for his wife. Again, there was no premium over sticker tacked on to the prices.
If DCX comes out with a limited run Challenger model, then you could see the bidding wars like those the Shelby Mustang has created. But I just can't see a regular production run model bringing more than sticker in any but the most unusual cases. If that DOES happen, I'll wait for mine until the sales boil goes down to a simmer. We'd only be getting into a bidding war with each other, and the price can only go as high as we're willing to pay.
As much as I'd like to have one NOW, I can wait until I'll be able to justify the cost of the purchase to myself.