View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
rickerda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funny call from dealer!

Well said...

ORIGINAL: JLockhart

Someone help me out here, because I just don’t get it. Is a consumer ripping off the dealer when they pay LESS than MSRP for a car? In what essential way is it different when a dealer charger more than MSRP when that is the price the market will bear. Either way, it’s a transaction both parties agree to – so where is the rip off?

A dealer can try to charge any price they want, but they can’t force anyone to buy it at that price. No one has to have a Challenger to survive, it’s strictly a want and not a need.

The Challenger will find its market value, whatever it is. If all dealers sold Challengers at sticker, there would be a bunch of opportunists buying them and then reselling on Ebay. And if the dealer overprices the car, that is their error, and they will end up holding an expensive piece of inventory until they figure out what the market price really is.

Personally, I would not pay a penny over sticker, but I know some folks will. Maybe some are idiots. Maybe some make well into 6 figures, want the car right now, and are willing to pay to be the first on the block to have one.

One year from now, there will be plenty of Challengers out there, the new Camaro will be the latest musclecar, and you’ll be able to get a Challenger at a discount. I love capitalism.

Just my thoughts, I might be missing something, and it wouldn’t be the first time.