View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YOUR PAST OLD CHALLENGERS??

Hey 71 Challenger,

Below is a copy and a paste of my original post when I joined the post.
A little history.....this car originally belonged to a childhood friend of my mine
because she was my Dad's boss's daughter. He was murdered and found buried
behind a meat store. She was their only daughter and they were devastated to say the least.
The car sat outside underneath a tree for over a year whithering away until I moved back home
to go to a diffent college and my Dad told him I needed a car. Since they were friends of the family
they thought they could kind of keep the car in the family by selling it to me. I knew what this car meant a lot
to them. I also knew they would see me and the car from time to time so I planned to take care of it and make it look good.

The car was kind of trashed....I am sure part because of the police investigation. But I wanted to make
it my own. To add the bigger wheels, I had to add hydraulic shocks in the rear. What is funny is when we would
go on double dates, I would make fun of the couple in the back seat because then the car would occassionly touch the wheel wells.

The top was vinyl which I always disliked, but I would use vinyl wax and it would really shine. I converted the modified points and condenser
back to electronic ignition but I had a high performance Tiger ignition and 50KV coil. I also added a larger 2 barrel careburetor. The spark plugs
I got from JC Whitney and they were a 4 point type and supposedly made a bigger spark. The trunk was painted with a splattered look type of paint
(dark grey with small white spots). The silver shiny rear back above the bumper was painted black. CB's were big back in the day so I also had a rear
deck mounted 5/8 wave center loaded antenna. I also got rid of the stock radio and replaced it with and AM/FM/8-Track radio with 4 way speaker control
for the 2 front and rear speakers. I was big into Quadrphonic and so you either had to build or go to a specialty radio store to find one of these to put in your
car to control all 4 speakers. I still have a the control box in mint condition and maybe I will take a picture of it and post it. It is a little piece of history.
I also still have another 8-track auto player and home 8-track recorder which is also a piece of history.

To answer your post, I would not make it stock for two reasons: a) This is expensive but you can
do it if you want to enter it in shows. You have to do a lot of searching to find original looking batteries and stuff and of course
they are very expensive b) The car becomes a trailer queen and not a daily driver.

For me, I prefer to make the car my own with all of the cool stuff available these days.....make it a reliable daily driver
and show it to friends and outside car meetings, but that is just me.

If you want the challenge of making it totally stock, there a lot of people doing that you can have fun discussing the trials
and tribulations of doing that. Best wishes in whatever you decide to do. I just ask one thing...... be sure to not forget about us
and post pictures of your progress.

"Hi everyone,

A little about my self. My favorite car of all time is the Ford GT originally know as the GT40. I fell in love with it about 15 years ago when I saw it in a book. After looking into building a kit car I discovered that it would still be too expensive. Then I discovered that Ford was going to build it. I hoped that it would not be expensive. Ha! Ha! Boy was I wrong. So here I am still looking
and thinking about building a car. Unfortunately, it takes the average gearhead about 4 years to build a car. Okay so maybe I could build a partial car. But I am a litttle particular about cars
so picking a car that is in good shape would be difficult. I have looked at cars that are great in handling but have good acceleration. How about a Lotus Elise, Exige, (what happened to the M240)
Porshce C
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.