View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mopar Supercharger coming in Nov

ORIGINAL: mjorgensen

The supercharger is generally chosen over a turbo on a V8 because of packaging constraints and or money. The turbo can make more power in general because it works off free power, no engine power used to run it so pound for pound the turbo makes more in the end. The supercharger is easier to install, may or may not need intercooling that is a must have in a turbo car so the plumbing is much simpler.

The 6.1L will only take 5.5 to 6 pounds of boost in stock form anyway so a turbo would seem to be overkill anyway for such a low number. The supercharger may not even NEED to have intercooling at these levels.

Hope this helped!

The
ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

So let me open up a can of worms.

Why a supercharger vs. a turbocharge specifically for the Challenger. What is it about the Challenger that the Supercharger is being offered.

I am more interested in the technical vs. the marketing reasons but I would love to hear both.
Thanks mjorgensen, that was good information. Yes I guess it is hard to boost it a lot when you have such a high compression ratio to start with.

On another note, do you expect a 6.4L to have a high HP limitation than the 560HP on the 6.1L.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.