View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st year bugs

Awsure let me give you an example. My parents in '91 bought a Caravan one that had just been restyled. Although the platform was the same as it was one the original, we had many recalls. The rear hatch was recalled due to opening during an accident, the seat belts were recalled, the seat latches were recalled, and a ton of stuff I can't even remember.

Another example, my cousin has a 96 Mercury Sable. Although the platform didn't change, it has tons of problems my father's 98 Taurus never had. It has less than a 100,000 and the engine overheats when you stop at a STOP sign, it is constantly losing coolent, the car gives off the constant bling that you get if you leave the key in the ignition and have the door open, when the door is shut and the key isn't in ignition, the steering has some issue that escapes me now. My father's '98 Taurus had 137,XXX miles when he traded it in and it had none of those problems with the same gas guzzling, gutless engine. Same car just first year issues.

Just because the platform isn't new doesn't mean they won't have problems on a refreshed model. The Challenger is going to be on the LY platform which is very similar to the LX but still different enough to be reworked and have room for problems. If you want it badly enough and your willing to put up with the first year issues, more power to you. Go ahead and buy it. Just realize that cars have first year issues. That is what is killing Toyota (and I'm enjoying every moment of it).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts